Monday, March 3, 2008

For those of you who have never worked in a grocery store this post is for you. I am working on 20 years with the same company. I call it "As the Stop and Shop Turns". If I had better skills as a writer I could make money by turning this place into a soap opera. There is romance: I would know, it's where I met my husband. It has intrigue: who's backstabbing who to get ahead/or to get more payroll hours for their department. There's danger; on occasion we have the shoplifter who needs to be taken down by 3 0r 4 of our bigger guys.I've often wondered why someone hasn't gone "postal" after working in a grocery store for years. When a customer wants an 18lb turkey and after searching through 50 freakin' birds you find one that weighs 18.16lbs and she doesn't take it because it's too big, you really wish you had a fire arm or a taser. I keep asking for a cattle prod for my birthday. Just a little jolt here and there and maybe people wouldn't be so picky. Really, if you're making meatloaf and the recipe calls for 1lb of burger, a few extra ounces isn't going to kill it. And if your at the deli and the american cheese is a slice over a lb take it home and give it to the cat/dog. One year turkeys were on sale for 25cents a lb. I started carrying a pocket full of quarters. When the bird was too big and they didn't want to spend the extra money I handed them the quarter and said "the exta is on me". Not sure why I didn't get fired that year. For the most part I really do love my job. If you ask me for something politely(because I am human you know) I will respond with the best service I can. Bark at me and I may just bite back. Oh and if you want to know who is sleeping with who in any given store, ask the store manager because male or female they are like mothers. They know EVERYTHING!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

she wished she did