Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Out with the old and in with the new

I'm not a vain person. I'm being honest when I say I am not a pretty person. The only thing I have going for me is my hair. Yes I have great hair. It's been every length and just about every color. Unfortunately all the women in my mom's family when gray very early. I am no exception. For over 20 years I colored my hair. 6 months ago I stopped. What came in was gray. Not that pretty Jamie Lee Curtis gray, just full head salt and pepper. I hated it. It made me look much older than my 43 years. And it made me see my mother in the mirror. I hated it. I received a lot of nice compliments from my friends and family. But I hated it. Get the picture yet. Ya... I really hated it. Monday when I looked in the mirror at the gym after a terrific workout I decided it needed to go. I stopped at my salon and booked the first open appointment with my stylist Roxie. We go back 20 years. She did my hair for my wedding and even took the clothes off the clothes line as my guest were arriving. It's her favorite bride story to tell. She had been trying to talk me out of growing it out all along. But I did it anyways. Tuesday at 3:30 I went in and took at least 15 years off my face. I feel so much better about myself now. It's one thing to not be a pretty woman but I don't need to look old too. Some might say it's just hair but to me it's all I have going for me physically. Maybe when I have completed my weight loss journey I'll think about my physical being differently, but for now it's good bye gray hello whatever the hell combination Roxie colored me with. I couldn't be happier. Now if only the hair color made me look 50lbs thinner along with 15 years younger.

3 comments:

AshBrensMom said...

Beauty comes from the inside-out and I think you're a beautiful person!

Also.. your daughter didn't get that gorgeous all on her own, and do you really think your handsome hubby would be married to an ugly chick? Nope!

I hope you have a wonderful week!

Keep blogging, I've miss you!

AshBrensMom said...

I've missed your blogs! How are you doing? Blog and let us know how you are!

Miss ya!

AshBrensMom said...

I miss your blogs Lauren! Come back to me!! lol

:)